Reviews and tips for the run

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana

I finally got run built, well for the most part. Any tips or things I missed would be appreciated!

I have hardware cloth on the bottom, Chicken wire on the top. All are secured with large washers and screws. The wires are also tied together with wire ties.
For the bottom of the run I trenched out underneath the pressure treated boards and put cement blocks so nothing can dig under, and part of the board is also buried. Im going to be adding brick pavers around it also for looks and added protection.
The door has a latch and a lock to prevent accidental opening.
We put the pallets up so they have shade during the hot parts of the day. We also added a roost to it.
The bush inside is a basil bush so I know its okay for them to be around they are pretty hardy bushes and add health benefits for the ladies.

The run looks good. How many chickens do you plan on having in there? One thought for the future, when they turn the run into a mud pit you can fill it with wood chips. A short while back I filled mine with wood chips because it would get muddy and smelly every time it rained and it has been great. They love that they always have something to scratch around in and keep them occupied and the manure gets mixed in with the wood chips and doesn't build up on the surface like it did on the dirt that would get packed down by them.

The run looks good. How many chickens do you plan on having in there? One thought for the future, when they turn the run into a mud pit you can fill it with wood chips. A short while back I filled mine with wood chips because it would get muddy and smelly every time it rained and it has been great. They love that they always have something to scratch around in and keep them occupied and the manure gets mixed in with the wood chips and doesn't build up on the surface like it did on the dirt that would get packed down by them.

I have 7 in that coop and run. Thats it for a while I might hatch a few out next year and keep it at no more than 10. The run is 12 ×9 and the coop is around 12×12.
Thats a great idea I actually have wood chips that I can put down after I plant that bush. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom