Revised indoor duck pen plans.... PICS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jun 27, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    HI everyone,

I've been planning a brand new indoor duck pen for a few months now and have been having trouble getting a contractor to come out and built it for me. I finally found two different companies willing to put a bid in for the project, so it might actualy get built within the next month! So exciting! Our ducks need a new spacious home with plenty of room to run around and play. I re-did the design a bit to make it easier to build, a little more cost effective, and to give the maximum amount of floor space, running area, and coop space per duck. All together, the ducks should have about 120 sq feet of space, about 20 sq feet per duck. I've also made a lovely little 3D drawing of the room it's going in, so it can be better imagined...

top view of the room.... followed by two other views of the room (3rd bedroom of the 2nd story of my townhouse in Chicago)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what the pen will look like inside of the room!
    [​IMG]

Here's a bird's eye of the pen-
    [​IMG]

The front wall/doors of the pen.
    [​IMG]

the sides and back- (the back will have a window to let light in)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Food center, Drawer area, and Nest box...
    what I call the "Food Center" (in purple) which is where we will place the duck's food and water. The food and water have to be placed far apart so the ducks do not wet their food. The dishes for their food and water will sit on top of the mesh (1/2in vinyl coated poultry netting/mesh). Anything they drip or drop will be able to fall through the mesh and land into a plastic container in the "drawer area" for easy cleaning. Our current pen has a similar design that has worked well for us. The walls of this area help keep the ducks from jumping or falling off the edges, thus preventing injury. The drawer area will need a partially open back to allow for easy cleaning and ventilation. Directly underneath the drawer area is an enclosed space called the "Nest Box" (gray area) where the ducks will lay their eggs and go for privacy. The nest box should have two separate entrances to avoid crowding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This next part shows the upper level of the pen (in yellow), along with the ramp (in red). The upper level will need a "banister" wall to keep the ducks from falling off the ledge. The ledge is only about 30" above the floor, but they can jump or fall and hurt themselves. The ramp is designed to be at a 30 degree angle, which seems to be the steepest a duck can handle. The ramp is to have 1/2round placed about ever 4" to provide traction for their feet. The Orange area underneath is what I call the "Chimney". This is simply a structure around the air vent in the floor to redirect the air flow into the pen itself. I'm not sure what to use to cover the hole yet. I'm hoping to find an actual air register vent cover that will fit, if not, a small screen with a wooden frame will do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crazy huh? Keep your fingers crossed for me that we finally get this built!!! [​IMG] The poor ducks have been living in pen that has been expanded three times now to make more room. Most of the pen is temporary, made using old bookcases, planks or wood, duct tape, tarps, etc.... It'll be nice to have a nice "real" pen/run/coop for our ducks. I know it will make them happy!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

nettie,
    what a fantastic plan!
    it looks wonderful.
    wow, your ducks will love it.

beth

3. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    wow - lucky ducks indeed.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Your plans look real creative, but what are you going to do about the horrible mess that the ducks make? Mine made their outdoor pen look real muddy and discusting, I can imagine keeping them in an indoor pen.

5. morlan75

morlan75 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Gower
    BRILLIANT! when you coming round mine to build one [​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nettie's ducks are already indoors, and always have been from what I understand. There are quite a few people on here that have indoor ducks for pets and keep their house clean and decent smelling, its just all about your layout and your devotion to the ducks making it worthwhile to do all the clean-up and added costs of possibly adding air purifiers and such if needed. [​IMG] Nettie is exceptionally devoted to her ducks and knows whats she's getting herself into [​IMG]

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Nettie's ducks are already indoors, and always have been from what I understand. There are quite a few people on here that have indoor ducks for pets and keep their house clean and decent smelling, its just all about your layout and your devotion to the ducks making it worthwhile to do all the clean-up and added costs of possibly adding air purifiers and such if needed. [​IMG] Nettie is exceptionally devoted to her ducks and knows whats she's getting herself into [​IMG]

Amen to that x2 !! Nettie, your duckies are so spoiled! If you look in the dictionary under "lucky ducks" There will be a picture of all Nettie's feathered babies!

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Goat Walker - I agree. Nettie's babies are super spoiled and she loves them to death. I couldn't handle having ducks in the house no matter how much I love them but I think some of the setups and trouble some of the indoor duck owners is awesome. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Nettie, this is awesome! Your ducks are so lucky that they have such a good mom to take care of them.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    HAHA OK If she loves them that much and is willing to put the work in that it takes to keep them clean, then go for it, it is a nice looking set up. My cousins girlfriend brought me a young Rouen hen that she bought a feed store and raised in the bathtub in her dorm roo at college until they found out she had it and she had to get rid of it, so she brought it to me to live with my ducks, it took her a while to figure she is a duck though, becuase she had been raised by humans and I kinda hate when people only buy one duck becuase they hate to be alone. But she eventually figured out what she is and enjoys a free range life with the rest of my ducks now, she is acutally setting now.

Good luck with yours nettie.

And ScaredOfShadows, btw, I darn near died when I saw your avatar, that is too hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by