Revitalizing a blood line americaunas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cloud9Farm, May 4, 2017.

1. Cloud9Farm

Cloud9Farm Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Florida
    I purchased 10 "americaunas" from a local feed store that are starting to vary widely in color. Any suggestion on color of Americauna rooster to be purchased and where?
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't know of any hatchery that has Ameraucana. What they sell are Easter Eggers and sometimes play with the spelling of Ameraucana to suggest it's akin to that breed. Easter Eggers are a mixed breed (a mutt if you will) that has a blue egg laying ancestor. They lay blue to greenish eggs if a parent had blue gene and can lay other colors if the lineage of blue was farther back. Maybe I'm wrong but thought only breeders had that breed not hatcheries (where feed stores purchase from).

3. Cloud9Farm

Cloud9Farm Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Florida
    Yeah, they are all bueutiful and I want to hatch more when they're older to share with everyone. Just trying to decide on the right roo to bring it back to more of its original lineage. Araucauna maybe?

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Well if you could get a blue gold duckwing that might do it . Not a golden duckwing but a gold duckwing. There's a big difference. That would give you a cacophony of color. The only two breeds you want are spelled Ameraucana or Araucana. Forget all the other spellings.

Karen

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. Cloud9Farm

Cloud9Farm Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Florida
    Ok

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. Cloud9Farm

Cloud9Farm Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Florida
    Newby mistakes. [​IMG] I do love them though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by