Rewarding My New Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Aug 30, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I got two Partridge Silkies on the 14th; a 1yo (who I've started calling Boss Lady, idk if it'll stick tho), and a 2yo. Their egg laying was minimal the first week, getting one from the younger the first day, and one from the older two days later. They must've settled in now, because this week has taken off! I've gotten one egg Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; and two eggs (one egg from each of them) Thursday and today. It's been raining today, so I hadn't planned to let them out to forage, and I didn't think that they'd really even want to. I opened the coop door, and sat down. They eventually wandered out, sat on an outside roost for a few minutes looking over the yard, and slowly ventured out. There's enough of an overhang on the roof that they could get to some grass without getting rained on. I figured they've earned it...lol I plan on cooking some of the eggs tonight or tomorrow. I weighed two in their shells, at 2.55oz. Two additional eggs brought it to 5oz, but idk how much L or XL eggs weigh. Does anyone happen to know about how many Silkie eggs would equal two regular (L or XL) eggs?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    most say 2 bantam eggs equal one full sized egg.

you should make a veggie sandwich for them they love them (for me no meat and no sauce just bread and veggie)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Thank you! The Silkies eat grass almost every day, but I haven't tried any veggies with them yet. I have given them some dried mealworms, and the treat stuff you put in the yellow foraging toy. They like that stuff, but haven't yet figured out how to get it out of the ball...lol

4. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    I have three silkies and am trying get some isa browns so I built a new coop what chickens (all together)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by