Rex Bunnies

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Those who remember, i was on a search for meat rabbits. Well, TSC had Rex rabbits in last week end so i bought a pair. We hoped they were a boy and a girl, but it seems i have 2 does. Here they are: Florence & Tina

Spring08107.jpg

Spring08108.jpg

Awwww...they are pretty! They look a little shaggy to be rex's though. Rex's have a short coat that feels like velvet.
Good luck with them!

Their not shaggy. Their fur has white tips (i think because they are young) and they're shedding right now. Sorry the second is so blurry. If this long haired-ness doesn't go away, what else do you think they are?

mine are shedding these days as well. They look like mixes because of the coloring. Usually the "broken" color rex's have better color definition. My guess is white+red rex mix. I have some red+blue rex's growing out now. They're almost 5 weeks old.

Here's a pic of one of the blue(mom) + red (dad) babies at 3 weeks old.
100_0578.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of my best rex does, Yoshie:

DSC01802.jpg

One thing that I have found in all of my rex and mini-rex, their whiskers are curled. That is a near failproof way to tell if they are rex or not. I have some kits who are 8 weeks old who are half rex. They have straight fur, with straight whiskers, but their fur is longer and much softer than all of my other "standard" rabbits.

They're cute whatever they are!
Hope this helps,
Emily

Hmmm...the seem to not be rexs. Could they be satins? I've looked and those seem hairer. Here are some more pics. I'm gonna start a new post to help identify them. If their not some kind of meat rabbit I'll have to find them a new home.
sad.png

Spring08119.jpg

Spring08121.jpg

Spring08118.jpg

Spring08117.jpg

Technically any rabbit that's of good size can be used as meat rabbits. I have English Spots (some mixed with NZW), NZW, and Standard Rex for my meat producers, although the Rex kits will not become food. I'm actually looking for a standard Rex buck that is either harlequin or magpie. Right now I only have my standard rex doe, Yoshie, and a few from her last rex litter (which are half mini-rex, so they don't meet my weight requirement for meat). Whereas the babies that she has now (1/2 English Spot, 1/2 Standard Rex) already weigh 4.5 lbs at 8 weeks old!

How much do you think they weigh? Do you know how old they are? I wouldn't use a rabbit as a breeder if their adult size isn't 8-12 lbs. Keep in mind, if the two you've recieved are still young (under 6 months) they haven't reached their adult size yet. Also, it is strongly recommended to not breed a rabbit before they are six months old. It puts too much stress on their still growing body and can kill them.

Hope this helps,
Emily

They both weigh about 4 lbs. They are 3 months old. I'm not breeding them Until 8 months just to be sure. I saw a thing that said you should wait until 9 months to breed meat rabbits. I believe these are crosses so 8 should be good.

Back
Top Bottom