Rex earned his keep today.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ruth, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Most of you who know me know that I have a German Shepherd, Rex, who began by sleeping with each batch of baby chicks till they were old enough to free range and then followed them around to guard them. He'd seemed to have lost interest in them now that they are all grown and scatter all over our yard/property. I'm guessing he's just relaxed with them now - he used to be so uptight with them that he would growl at our other pets if they got near the chicks. Anyway - today I heard him barking and looked out the window to see three HUGE dogs in my back yard (at least two were Great Danes and the other a Boxer - all much bigger than Rex). My chickens were out as usual. However, Rex really impressed me. He didn't attack any one dog. Instead he would run charging and barking at one and when he did the other two would try and run around him and toward the house - then he would shift and run after them. Can't really explain it but he single handedly managed to successfully herd all three out of our yard. The chickens by the way were all hiding under bushes next to the house. It looked like he was herding cattle. He didn't actually attack any dog or get in a fight. He seemed to know that the other two would get the chickens if he fought with one dog. I know he chases off predators during the night because I hear him barking but he can smell anything long before it close to the coop but I had never seen him in action like this before. I am quite proud of him and he seemed proud of himself. It all happened so fast. I ran for my husband to help and he ran for a shovel and then we ran outside but Rex had it all under control and the dogs were gone - back across the river/creek where they live. Good job Rex. For anyone wanting to know what kind of guard dog to get for your chickens - my vote is German Shepherd.

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Praise the Lord for our beloved canines! Rex deserves a big bone and a doggie massage [​IMG]

3. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    You are lucky to have such an awesome dog! Hope you got him an extra treat!!

Bubba

4. Pinsprings

Pinsprings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I wondered why they were called "shepherds", I never heard of anyone using them as LGD's.

5. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Wow what a special dog. It is amazing that some will take over the flock as their own.

ML

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great dog!! You are very lucky to have him. Give Rex a big old hug from me!!

7. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I wish my dogs were that good with my chickens I have 3 boxers and 2 mix something or others LOL
    but we did not have my chicks when my dogs were little so they dont know how to act around them, can you send Rex over for a trainging class? " chickens are friends not food " kinda class?

give him a nice big treat he earned it
    GOOD BOY REX

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    GO REX!

9. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Isn't it wonderful to see a dog doing it's job????? Great job, Rex!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    WTG Rex !!! give that boy some extra dog treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by