Rex is a mama/daddy again.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruth, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    We got 12 new babies (thanks Dipsy) from eggs that hatched on Valentines Day.

Rex has known something was up in that bathroom and has been dying to get in and start guarding his babies. It's been 5 months since the last batch of babies but Rex went right to work.

He'll guard them inside and then outside when they are moved out. He loves his chicks. He's such a good mama/daddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    what a good momma/daddy he is -- can he come and teach my dogs that chickens are to be protected and not eaten????

Julie

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    He is a great dog. This is his 4th batch of babies. He stays outside with our free-ranging "big girls" and won't even let the scent of something get on our property. We have 13 free-ranging chickens that aren't kept penned or cooped up and we live in the country surrounded by thousands of acres of woods - and Rex does such a good job that nothing has ever gotten a single bird.

However, now that we've moved to a farm with barns, etc. and the girls are laying everywhere, he keeps bringing me eggs in his mouth. Not sure if he thinks they're balls and wants to play or if he thinks he's helping me gather them - like "hey look what I found". They're not broken when he brings them to me. So in addition to good guard dog, he finds the eggs they lay in pastures and places other than known nesting areas.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Now, that's a good dog!!

5. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

It's so good to have such a protective dog, and caring dog. That's a pretty sweet dog you have there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by