RFID chips in chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChooksChick, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    With all of the thefts occurring these days, I'm very concerned and am going to have a vet friend chip my whole flock.

Has anyone else done this?

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have never heard of it before but the problem is somebody would have to take the chicken to the vet to have the chip read. Not many people take chickens to the vet especially thiefs. even if they did, it is not a common practice for the vet to scan a chicken. There are 4 or 5 different chip manufactures and they would have to have the correct chip reader or a universal reader. I say get a big LSG dog and not worry about it! lol

3. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:And remember most vets don't even deal with chickens!!

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:There have been so many thefts lately it's time for the industry to take this seriously, and we have a community large enough to provide some leverage in changing the way things are done.

It wouldn't be hard to have a universal reader at major shows to scan incoming birds, and it would be something we could likely get implemented if we worked together.

This is truly a situation that we must take in hand, and these thefts have occurred despite dogs, despite cameras, etc.

I've got locks on my coops, but that's not enough. I'm taking it seriously. I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas about this?

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Might be worth looking into for show chickens. I have never shown a chicken so I didn't think in those terms. If you have a chicken vet then ask them if it can be done and then ask the show board iff it can be permited and become a rule. I have 5 veterinarians in my county and none will see a chicken. I live in Tyson and Pilgrim's Pride country so the usda vets can not see peoples personal chickens.

6. SpeedysBigRed

SpeedysBigRed In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    Chickens are simply not valuable enough for such protection. Many missing chickens, unlike dogs, cats, horses, etc., are "stolen" by predators; some by the two-legged kind, but end up the same way, as a meal. Unless you have a rare heritage flock, or developing a new, important line of birds, it isn't worth the cost and effort and, I imagine, not hign on the priority for many law enforcement units.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: