1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhea question.

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by schoebel_taylor, Oct 25, 2009.

1. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    Hi, i was looking into getting some rhea but i have a couple questions. How old do they have to be before they can go outside? It averages about 45-50 right now in wisconsin and there will be snow pretty soon. Do they have to stay in a heated barn over winter? Would they be alright if I just had like a little shed which would give them shelter? Thanks!

2. greg standley

greg standley New Egg

May 12, 2009
    verona IL
    they will do fine in a shead with a heat lamp till they are 3 months old. and a shead with no heat after 3 months with 4' fence. they will do just fine they are hardy after the first 3 months just keep your water heated.

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Be advised Rheas can be dangerous, they have a raptors claw that can rip a person open. Emu from my understanding are much more safe around people.

4. greg standley

greg standley New Egg

May 12, 2009
    verona IL
    not my rheas. even the male will fluff his fethers and walk up to you. in a big display but you stick your arms out and he will walk away.

5. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Rheas never kick, just bite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by