Rhino/Flu shot Horse

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by toletiquesbysam, Feb 2, 2009.

1. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Contacted the vet and they said this is something I can give my horse myself, pick up the stuff from them and then do it myself.
    Has anyone done this, where do you inject the shot at, or is it just better to have the vet do it?

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I give my horses their shots, but like you said, they come from the vet. I had my vet come out and show me exactly how to do it that way I know I am doing it right.

I am sure someone here can explain exactly where you put it. But if you have never done it, I would have the vet come out and show you how to first, then you will feel better doing it yourself.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm waiting on the trainer to advise when we can bring our horse to her. If it's a Saturday then we'll time it where we can stop at the Vet on our way to the trainer and have the vet do it. But I'd like to have a backup plan if that doesn't pan out!

4. Bec

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I give all my own shots to the horse, and dog and cats. It's cheaper and since I know how I just order them online and do it myself. Only one I dont give the dog myself is rabies, since he needs it done by a vet for his license.

I give Rhett his vaccines in his neck. But had a mare that had a bad reaction once and she needed them in her haunches.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ive given horses and dogs and cats their vaccination thru online vaccine company and never had any problems at all. The only thing I could not give are rabies...that is the vet's job and required by state.

7. Bec

You can order them online?

Where? I could save myself the farm call!

8. You should be able to get a 5 way at your local feed store. Just follow the video on the post from Bec and you should be good to
    go. Just let the horse know you are comming. Really, I have not seen a horse react to a shot in the neck.

Do not give a pregnant mare a shot without a vet and do not give a lame horse a shot without a vet.

Depending on what part of the country you are in, The tetinas, rhino and such are common. west nile is over rated except in the eastern part of the country and a 5 way should cover you.

You can not draw a coggins, so if you need one, this would be a good time to see your vet either on barn call or trailered to them.

The most important thing to do is worm your horse. without doing this you may as well throw them in the pasture and forget about them.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, there's a bunch of catalogs/websites that sell vaccines. No reason not to do it yourself as long as you know what you're doing.

(Except that as several other posters have said, rabies vaccination is best given by a vet because of the legal angle (if there should be a question, like your horse bites someone or is around an animal that turns out to be rabid, your horse is legally considered UNvaccinated unless the shot was from a vet, and you may not like the ramifications of that).

I think it is very much worth being taught properly by someone who knows what they're doing though. You get an IM shot into a vein instead -- worse, with an airbubble! -- you can make a horse pretty sick or dead. It is definitely a learnable skill (and useful, especially if you have multiple horses), but a LEARNED one, not a trial and error one, you know?

JMO,

Pat

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I've given shots to pregnant horses without any ill effects and a lame horse with bute or something of that nature if you are sure of the diagnosis.

West Nile is commonplace and its one of those optional shots if you choose to vaccinate your horses. Its the owner's call whether or not they want to vaccinate for this.

Coggins from what I know, is good for showing, events and parades and transporting horses out of state. If your horse is a stay at homebody, then there is no need for it.

Yep, worm them regularly and float teeth are all part of the horse maintaince schedule that every horse owner could or need to do.

Vaccinations for strangles is important too. I've seen too many horses in sale barns with flying snots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by