Rhode isalnd Red's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BK79, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BK79

BK79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    as I understand it there are three versions of "RIR"?
    "Production", "Pure bred" and "Heritage"
    I like the look of the "Heritage" breed of RIR, but not too many people around who have them for sale.
    is the "production" breed of RIR a hybrid of some sort, what difference is there between the "Pure bred"?

2. muircheartaigh

muircheartaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as I know "production reds" are a hybrid of RIRs and New Hampshire reds, and evidently sometimes crossed with leghorns (unconfirmed). They are prolific layers and vary a good deal in appearance, thus no breed standard. One stark contrast I notice btw my priduction reds and RIRs is the color of the feet, where the RIRs have much yellower feet. As far as there being a third type, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's a distinction between utility lines and show bird lines where the utility line is bred to fulfill it's original dual purpose abilities? Either way, both bird types make an excellent flock addition.

3. BK79

BK79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    If the "production" RIRs are a hybrid...means they will be more quieter and tamer. See a big difference between my RSL hens in my yard and a friends RIR's at his place in terms of noise. My RSL don't make a peep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by