Rhode Island- Black Langshan For Sale

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chicks R Friends NOT Food, May 1, 2009.

1. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I have had no luck on craiglsist so far, hope someone here is more interested. His name is formally Night Sky, but usually just Sky. He's may baby, not food (I'd likehim to stay that way). I don't want much I just care about a good home. Let me know if you're interested Please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I am aware of his funny head-holding habits. As far as I can tell it's his method of dealing with stress to sit and put his head back. Unfortunately it does make him an easy target for prey.

2. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Can no one take him? Even for free? I really can't keep him and the ONE person that contacted me (craigslist) never came. I don't want to just give him away, but I'm running low on options right now...

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    uhh, I hate to tell you this, but roosters, unless exceptional breeding quality are pretty hard to sell/give away. You have no real use for him as a breeder. The liklihod of someone else needing a breeding rooster is quite remote as well. It is an unfortunate fact of life that there are an equal amount of males to females and ya just dont need a one to one ratio.

I wish you the best of luck but I think you may be stuck with the reality of having him for a long time. The difference between getting a buck or two for him vs. giving him away is very little in the long run.

Good luck.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    What about that white one??? Got any more photos of him?

As for the black...it looks like he has a neurological issue. I've seen that "star gazing" look before...

5. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    ooo.. uh oh.. yeah star gazing isnt a good thing.. It could be a sign of Mareks Disease..

but, they are such Beautiful Roosters! aww!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:Sorry. White is staying here. Moon is a lot nicer and more normal, I wouldn't give him up. I just want Sky to go to a good home to live out his life. [​IMG] I don't think it's Markes because it's not all the time, it's only when he is under stress. He's perfectly capable of being normal, he just isn't interested.
    *Still hoping someone can take him, Starting to talk myself into letting someone eat him...[​IMG]*

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    chickens get stressed?

8. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:Yeah, picking him up, chasing/following him, trying to pet him, new things (such as the camera when I was taking the pics), new people. He doesn't like it, it stresses him out and then he looks funny. It's the worst when you pick him up.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Star gazing is not a sign of marek's disease. It is more likely a vitamin deficiency which is easily corrected with vitamin supplements. There is also a chance of neurological issue, but as long as he's healthy he would be ok in a pet home. I just wanted to clarify so people are not misled with incorrect information.

Chicks R Friends - have you tried some vitamins to see if that helps his nervous condition? I'm sorry to jump in on your thread with this, but since someone brought it up it should probably be addressed. I hope you find him a good home.

10. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    It's okay since he would probably be easier to rehome if he was normal looking. How do I go about the vitamins thing? Can I just go to the feedstore and ask about vitamin additives for chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by