1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rhode island hen is attacking the new sussex hens any suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bangoman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. bangoman

bangoman New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    hey all ,
    we just brought 2 new sussex hen.
    we have 1 rhode island roster and 1 rhode island hen
    the rhode island hen is attacking the sussex hens with out a reason, like she is going after them and attacking them ...

anyone have a suggestion for us ?
    thanks a lot

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    The RIR is just "putting them in their place", or establishing dominance. You will probably need to separate the new hens, but in a nearby area, so they can "see but not touch". Even when you reintroduce them, there will be squabbles, but as long as they are not drawing blood then it is probably okay. Also, separating them is good for watching for any illness that the new hens might bring in. I hope this helps.

3. bangoman

bangoman New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    thanks for the fast response! i will try seperate them tomorrow . do you think a small transfer cage will be enough?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, she is ticked off! Chickens do NOT like newcomers! When integrating new birds it is best to keep them penned alongside the existing birds for a while so everyone can get used to each other before they share space. As mentioned, they will still have pecking order scuffles when put together but it shouldn't be as bad. I would also have quarantined these new birds well away from your other birds for 30 days before letting them mix. Too late for that now but I would still separate them with a fence and let things settle down a bit.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It is best if you fence off part of the run for them or in some way give them room to roam about alongside the other birds. That way the other birds get used to them and to seeing them around in their area.

6. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    It would be good to have some running around space for the new hens. You don't want them to be stressed out by the lack of space. Do you have some left over fencing/wire to make a smallish pen for them? When they have gotten a little more used to each other, you can free-range them (with supervision) together if you can.

7. bangoman

bangoman New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    o thought its only for 1-2 days .. .i have like 35 local arabic chickens in that place as well . there is no problem with them. only the RiR female is aggresive. do you still think that seperating them is the best ?

8. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    1 person likes this.
  9. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we have had chickens for years now and we have a cage at the end of our coop they can see each other but not get to them, we had 15 sex links and then we had a hen with 13 babies in it works great, we redid an old camper into a coop.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by