Rhode Island losing feather volume at the tips of wings

fmacken13

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Hi!

My favorite hen, Mabel, a RI, has been gradually losing feather volume...just at the tips of her wings and on her back feathers...the ones that stick up. They are down to the shafts in most places. So, it kind of looks like she has solid feathers about 3/4 the way down to the end, and then nothing but a stick at the end.

Mabel is happy, healthy (as far as I know)...no change in laying eggs or activity. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? She's never been through a full molt.

Thanks!

Fiona

How old is she? It sounds like she is molting. With some hens you almost don't know they are molting, and with others they look very beat up and half bald. The first big molt occurs around 18 months old, then yearly thereafter. You can offer some extra protein during this time. Always check for lice and mite eggs, and look especially around the vent, neck, and under wings. Here is what to look for: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Last edited:
oh thank you for that! I do much better with pictures! I'll take a really good look at her and see if I can see anything like that. Mabel is 2 1/2 years old and has never been through a molt. Mabel is very domestic so she won't mind me examining her either :) I'll get back to you in a few!

Thanks again!
Fiona

Back
Top Bottom