Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock 1 year old and never laid eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hugonauts, Mar 29, 2012.

1. hugonauts

hugonauts New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    I have a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock who are 1 year old and have never laid any eggs! They are happy, healthy, eat good food, free range, perfect coup, and NOTHING! They do nest everywhere, but do not lay.

Any ideas or help!

I want an egg.

Denise

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Have you searched your entire yard for hidden clutch of eggs? They may not be using their nesting boxes. Lock them in the run/coop for a few days and see if you get an egg. If so then they have a secret nest area you've not found yet. Have they ever made the egg song?

3. hugonauts

hugonauts New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Yes I have heard them sing in their enclosure. But haven't seen anything. I will have the girls do an egg hunt today, although I have been looking in their spots. I put some wood eggs in their nest a couple of days ago and did think I should make them stay in their very large enclosure until i see an egg. :)

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    There you go. They probably have a hidden nest somewhere. Lock them in the run a few days and you'll probably get an egg!

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My chickens are really inventive when hiding their eggs. I have so many funny pictures of hidden nests (even while the nest was in "plain sight) with dozens of eggs in them, that I want to write a book...."Chickens and their hidden nests" [​IMG]

6. hugonauts

hugonauts New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Ok, I didn't let my chickens free range for a week and still no eggs. I am sure they are NOT roosters. All my backyard chicken friends can't believe it.
    I have now treated them for worms, mites, and everything else.

Anyone have any ideas why I am not getting any eggs? They are now 13 months old.

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Are you sure there's no place they might be laying in your run? Do they have fake eggs in their nest boxes? What a bummer!

8. hugonauts

hugonauts New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    There is no place eggs could be hiding. I would see them. I just put fake eggs int there nest boxes a couple of weeks ago. And yes it is a bummer. I can't believe it and don't know what else to do. :(

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Could you post a picture of them just to check to see if they are roosters. I beleive you, of course, and I'm sure they would be crowing and all, but I can't think of anything else :/ . Also to see if they LOOK ready and as if they are laying eggs. Have you raised them from chicks? Are you SURE they are that old? If you bought them awhile ago the seller may have been lying about their age because 'laying' hens sell better.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Are they the only ones you have? I hope they aren't eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by