rhode island red and dominiques, little help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain5, Aug 19, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I might be going to go get some Rhode Island red and Dominique chicks. Im told they are around a month old, will I be able to tell which are hens and which are roos? I know nothing is certain but Im hoping they're old enough where I can tell- but im no pro [​IMG]
    Also- if they are about one month old, does anyone have a rough idea of when these two breeds start to lay? Just curious how long of a wait I will have. Thanks!

2. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I purchased 3 Rhode Island reds last spring. They just began to lay like mid july it was probably about 4 1/2- 5 months that they all began to lay. I am not sure about the Dominique chicks though.

3. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Well for the RIR's you can look to see how the comb looks, yellow is female, redish pink is male (the males may also have a larger comb). You can look at the feathering, females will be farther along than males usually. If they're accurate about the age then you can expect some eggs in November or later.

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    thankyou!

anyone know about the dominiques?

5. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I've read that my Dominiques will generally start in the 18-20 week range for laying. Some could start as early as 16 or 17 weeks, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much! LOL They are 12 weeks now.

6. Country Cluck

Country Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Battle Ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by