Rhode Island Red and Silver-laced or Gold laced Wyandotte cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeanniejayne, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    Someone nearby on Craig's list is offering 6 month old pullets of this cross for $5.(!) What do you think of this cross for a backyard egg-layer? Temperament is important. Thanks everyone for your opinions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Since both wyandottes & RIRs are good layers and pretty good temperaments, those chickens should be fine for backyard layers and $5 is an excellent price for pullets almost of laying age (point of lay?). Actually, since they are already six months old, you can check their temperament out when you visit - it will also depend on how they were raised.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Isn't that the cross they call a Cinnamon Queen?

4. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Yes a RIR Roo over a SLW is a Cinnamon Queen and is a sex link. and are supossed to be excellant layers.

5. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    You couldnt raise the pullets for that cheep. I would definatly get them if I were you. Was the reasoning for getting rid of them?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got a nice dark brown egg out of our Cinnamon Queen today.... And I always thought daddy was RIR and momma was a white leghorn!... she is a beauty.

7. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    The guy selling says he hatches his own eggs and sells the resulting chicks. Don't know if he is in the habit of growing them on as a usual thing, but he replied to me that he hatches to keep his laying flock up.

These birds are already laying, he says. He mentioned he would have some Red Stars ready next weekend, and I had the impression that they are pullets as well. I thought it was an amazing price, but since they are crosses.....

Perhaps it is a sideline? [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nothing wrong with a crossbred laying hen. Often times they are much better layers.

9. tenfairytoes

tenfairytoes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I have a RIR cross blue laced red wyandotte. Shes a nice size and she started laying at 5 months. Her breast is all laced but I couldn't capture it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. happyhens1221

happyhens1221 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    Valley center ca
    Which is the blue laced red the roo or the hen and which was rir wondering as I have a roo blue laced and a rir hen wondering what chicks would look like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by