Rhode Island Red and Silver-laced or Gold laced Wyandotte cross?

jeanniejayne

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
mid-Delaware
Someone nearby on Craig's list is offering 6 month old pullets of this cross for $5.(!) What do you think of this cross for a backyard egg-layer? Temperament is important. Thanks everyone for your opinions.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Since both wyandottes & RIRs are good layers and pretty good temperaments, those chickens should be fine for backyard layers and $5 is an excellent price for pullets almost of laying age (point of lay?). Actually, since they are already six months old, you can check their temperament out when you visit - it will also depend on how they were raised.

Got a nice dark brown egg out of our Cinnamon Queen today.... And I always thought daddy was RIR and momma was a white leghorn!... she is a beauty.

The guy selling says he hatches his own eggs and sells the resulting chicks. Don't know if he is in the habit of growing them on as a usual thing, but he replied to me that he hatches to keep his laying flock up.

These birds are already laying, he says. He mentioned he would have some Red Stars ready next weekend, and I had the impression that they are pullets as well. I thought it was an amazing price, but since they are crosses.....

Perhaps it is a sideline?
hmm.png

I have a RIR cross blue laced red wyandotte. Shes a nice size and she started laying at 5 months. Her breast is all laced but I couldn't capture it.

Back
Top Bottom