Rhode Island Red babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ibpboo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hay & Bale meet C1 & C2.

3 weeks and 3 1/2 months

[​IMG]

2. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    CUTE BABIES! [​IMG]

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    cute!

4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    So how did they do when you introduced them? I have almost 12 week olds and almost 5 week olds and I really would like to introduce them but I am still afraid the big girls will really rough them up, I have 5 Buff Orps and 5 Americaunas, they are the ones I would not trust, bunch of snot's they are, the buffs are okay. Trudy

5. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Thank you.
    This morning I went out early and took the 3 week olds and place them with the 3 1/2 month olds and silkie and let them all wake up together. No pecking went on at all. The silkie became mama to the older ones when they were about a month old when I started letting them free range. I have older hens too, 6 years, they have their own coop and the rest sleep in the tack room, but they can all free range together on my acre. I am hoping to soon get a coop for the rest of the hens and those 5 can all live together. I tried for a couple days letting the 3 month olds be with the 6 year olds but the young ones didn't like it and they escaped from my coop because it has a lot of holes in it now. It is 10 years old and in much need of repair. The horse likes to tear up the chicken coop lol

6. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:It went pretty well, one of the bigger ones pecked gently a couple times, but since they were free ranging, they wandered off. I do not let the little babies free range yet unless I am standing right there, I don't want them to get lost or eaten! Since the 3 month olds were raised by me, and then the very docile silkie, they are still very gentle and friendly.

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Those are pretty birds. [​IMG]

I thought I had a RIR, but now I don't think so. Mine is not as red as yours and has creamy colored feathers in certain places. They also have a little black in their tails....Hmmmm

Well, she is terribly sweet anyway! [​IMG]

8. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:Here is a picture of my older girls. My 3 month olds do have some black in their tails, and the young ones do have some cream/tan colors on the wings.
    These two are about 6 years old, still laying. One is a lot lighter color than the other, can't tell in picture though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  9. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh, well maybe she is a RIR~~not just a good of quality as yours is?? Mine came from MM Hatchery.

BTW: That's a nice picture of them! I can't get anything to load here or I would l try to show you "Cordelia," to you, too!! [​IMG]

10. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I get mine from the local feed store, I do not know where they get them. Here is a picture of the 3 month olds when they were a month old. I had 5 to begin with, but something got 3 of them, they were just gone one day. [​IMG] By the way, the 3 month olds are C1 and C2 and the 3 week olds are Hay and Bale.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by