1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LD Jackson, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Okay, so my chicks have all been doing great, eating, drinking, growing, and feathering in really nice. I have a Rhode Island Red chick that is 4 weeks old and was doing fine Saturday. Yesterday evening, I went to feed and water them and he was laying on his back and couldn't get up. Picture a turtle on it's back and scrambling around to right itself and you will see what I mean. He had a right proper little hole in the shavings where he was trying for all he was worth to get up, but couldn't. There is no sign of a wound or where the other chicks may have injured him and he will eat and drink, if we hold him upright, but he can not right himself, much less stand. If he gets on his back, he kicks and squirms, trying to get up, but he simply can't. He is currently in my office, propped up in the corner of a box so he doesn't have to lay on his back. Chirping rather loudly at the moment.

I have given him a few drops of Poly-vi-sol vitamins and made sure he eats and drinks. Is there anything else you would suggest?

2. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    I had a week old Chantecler do this. I separated her out from the rest. Gave her antibiotic and vitamin water along with her feed. She was able to get one foot back somewhat under her but she staggered around like she was drunk. She died 2 days later. I never found out why. Then last week I had a 2 week old Red Broiler do the same thing. It was laying on its back and side and wouldn't right itself. I separated it and forced it to drink and put its feet under it. After one day, it would sit on its butt with its feet stretched out in front of it and couldn't stand. I gave it the sugar antibiotic water and gave it 24% protein food. Within 2 days it was on its feet - staggering around but each day it got stronger and I put it back with the rest of the flock last night. It was back to normal. Sometimes they need extra vitamin niacin and I guess 24% protein has more of it in it. I don't know if this was what was wrong with the Chantecler or not but it worked for the Red Broiler. (they look sort of like a Rhode Island Red with bigger breast meat).

3. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Thanks for the advice, Karen. This little chick is quite remarkable. Since I first posted about him, he has managed to jump out of his box and onto the carpet of my office. He is very much the fighter and he was actually sitting up on his own as I write this, albeit very wobbly and unstable. I will try to keep you posted as to his progress.

4. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    Thank you and good luck. It is hard cause they are so small and cute. [​IMG] Lots of TLC does help! Also keep it hydrated.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by