1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red chick. Hoping it's a pullet!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by verycherry, Jul 18, 2008.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I bought "Lucy" at only a few days old as a pullet, but at about 4 to 6 weeks old, we were convinced she was actually a he instead, and changed the name to Louie. The legs are thick and the chick is very heavy and "meatie" compared to the others, which are standard barred rocks, white rocks, delaware, etc...

Well, now she or he is finally feathered out, and looking more like a Lucy again. The comb is still fairly pale and small, although she's still quite a chunk!

Am I safe in thinking I have a future egg layer here?

I already have 2 roos, and 10 other pullets, so you know which way I'm hoping this to go, lol!

Oh, and she/he is between 11 and 12 weeks old.

Thanks for your help on this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Looks like mine about the same age so i am hoping the same thing.

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Looks like a pullet to me.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have one that is 11 weeks old also - way more comb and wattles than yours ( mine looks like a roo but acts like a hen and doesn't crow:confused:)

This is him about 1 1/2 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I guess pullet.

6. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    What a beautiful photograph! Very pretty bird too.

I'd think roo on yours too, with a nice red comb like that. I've heard some just take longer to start crowing. Neither of my two cockerels, my Cochin or my EE, have tried to crow yet either, and both of them are very obviously boys.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    It's hatch mate has been crowing for about a week now, so maybe he doesn't feel the need. He will do ANYTHING for a raisin though:D. I had a lot of fun switching from regular raisins to the white ones - got the evil chicken eye until he figured out they were still raisins...
    I would say yours are definately pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by