Rhode Island Red Chick won't stop screaming

Serina81

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Lucerne Valley, CA
Since one of my Rhode Island Red chicks hatched three days ago, it hasn't stopped screaming except occasionally when it's dead asleep. And yes, I mean screaming. Chirping at the top of it's voice to the point I have to sleep with a fan on in my room to cover the noise from the chick (who is in a box in the bathroom next to my room). I checked the chick over multiple times to see if something was wrong with it-nothing I could see. And the temperature was fine so it wasn't cold. Plus, the other chicks were absolutely fine. I figured the chick must have something wrong with it and would die, but it's still alive and has continued to scream...until tonight. I finally called my mother who doesn't have chicken experience, but has baby experience and asked her what she thought. Find a stuffed animal she said. A stuffed animal for a chick? My mother's a bit crazy, except....take a look for yourself...

24345_rhode_island_red_chicks_need_stuffed_animal.jpg

And now the chick is chirping contentedly for the first time since it hatched!

(The screamer is at the very bottom of the pile. You can see its little bum sticking out)

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing with one of my 6 turkey poults I hatched over Memorial Day weekend. It wouldn't stop chirping or screaming no matter what. It had had some problems and I thought I was going to lose it a couple of times and so it got handled more than the rest, and I guess it just needed more contact or comforting. I never thought of your solution but it did stop this on its own when it was about 10-12 days old, and is no different from the rest now.

Nice to know for future reference. I've seen photos posted of people hanging a clean feather duster so the birds can snuggle in to it as well, and that seems to work.

Glad you were able to silence the chick.

I have a chick that screams too!!!!!!!!! Only it was alone for the first day in the incubator untill anoter hatched. Then it calmed a bit! Now it wont let the other one out of its sight and it screams the place down everytime I lift the other one to put his little eye drops in. ( Had an infection!) It is so bad that when I took the one to the Vet for its eye drops I had to take them bothas the other one gets so upset and distressed. I think its the same kind of thing. Its the need for a mummy. Mine just got a firend thankfully its worked out ok as they are both doing well but inseperable!

Oesdog
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom