Rhode Island Red Cocks

Gunslingertom

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 3, 2011
I started a new laying flock this year and at the same time I decided to get some cocks to butcher, since they are pretty cheap. They are 8 weeks old and obviously not anywhere close to the size of an 8 week old CX. But I'm thinking of butchering them anyway. Hoping for a Cornish game hen size bird. Anyone else have any experience doing them this young?
Oh yeah, and would you feed them anything special for a week or two before their big day?

Last edited:
Rhode Island cockerals at 8 weeks aren't going to have much meat on'em. Doesn't matter what you feed'em.

I did some New Hampshire Reds at 16 weeks and they were just feathers and bones. One of them didn't even make a meal for two. By 8 months they were decent.

You really should wait a few months, you will have lost all of your time and money if you butcher them now.. I doubt you will even get a cornish game hen sized carcass.. I have naked necks that are 10 weeks old and nowhere near being ready to butcher...

OK, so I waited another 3 weeks to butcher the cocks and they really aren't too bad. All have ranged from 2 1/2 lbs to 3 lbs or a little more, dressed. I made a lot of chicken soup and canned it, which is something I've never done before. We always pack them in the freezer. This year was a good year for deer hunting for me, so there wasn't enough room in the freezer for far all those chickens.

First batch of chicken soup. Did these last weekend and pressure canned them

It looks delicious. Did you guys get to test taste it before canning? Does it taste as good as it looks? I am doing up a bunch and setting up premade meals for the family so if I have to work late they have quick stuff. My last bird that I processed cooked in the crock pot for about 24 hours and made the worlds greatest stock. It was dark brown in color and smelled SO amazing. We ate the chicken for chicken and dumplings and canned the stock for later. I love making my own food.

Back
Top Bottom