Rhode Island Red Comb and Wattles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RooChick, Feb 5, 2017.

1. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering how long it will take before my Rhode Island Red will grow her comb and wattles ?

I bought her when she was 12 weeks old and now she is 20 weeks old and they haven't changed at all.
    Her tiny little comb is still very pale pink and there are no signs of wattles growing and no eggs.

I bought a Light Sussex at the same time as my Rhode Island Red and she was 16 weeks old.
    Back then she also had a pale pink comb and the tiniest wattles, but now she is 24 weeks old and she has huge, red wattles and comb. She is also laying eggs.

Thanks !

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Different birds will mature at different rates. Are you certain the RIR is a RIR (you can post a photo here) - often misidentification of breed is at play when development differs from what is expected? Are you certain the bird was 12 weeks at purchase? Do you have any photos of her when you first got her that we can see to help you confirm her reported age? Is this bird from exhibition lines or production lines?

3. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    I'm no expert on identifying certain chicken breeds. That is what I was told when I bought her from a place called City Chicks.
    And I certainly can't identify a chickens age by looking at it [​IMG]

But here are some photos of my Millie:
    [​IMG]
    12 weeks old

[​IMG]
    12 weeks old

[​IMG]
    And now 20 weeks old [​IMG]

4. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    [​IMG] Anyone know if she's a Rhode Island Red, her age or why she isn't showing any signs of a comb or wattles yet ?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Probably the same reason some 16 year old girls don't have much breasts yet. Some individuals simply develop slower. I don't think there's anything you can do about it. She'll mature on her own. Or, if there's really some ongoing issue and she's not laying by 7 months, I'd cull her.

6. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah, I was wondering if there was something else wrong.
    She's eating fine, putting on weight and acts like all the other chickens. I just thought it was strange that she looks exactly the same as she was.

I'll keep waiting !

7. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Oh and if she doesn't lay eggs, I will just keep her as a pet. I could never cull my Millie [​IMG]

8. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    So Millie is now 10 months old and her comb and wattles are coming through !! :D Here is a picture of her. She also weighs 2.7kg / 6 pounds now !
    Not laying eggs yet, but maybe soon !

10 Months.jpg

Ohmyheart likes this.
  9. RooChick

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Update ! Millicent laid her first egg last Thursday !

She's all grown up :)

J977, Ol Grey Mare and Ohmyheart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by