1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red - Confirm Sex & Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emandmike, Jul 18, 2016.

1. emandmike

emandmike New Egg

Hi everyone! We live in the Cincinnati area and this is our first flock(6 birds).

Need help with the RIR? pictured below please!

Age is about 9 weeks.
    She has very dark tail feathers compared to the other 2 RIRs in the flock.
    She is the bird to the left/back in the first picture and main bird pictured in rest of photos.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    That is a very red comb and wattles for 9 weeks and the shanks look thick. Still too early for male feathers but I would be concerned..... unless you want it to be a cockerel of course!

1 person likes this.
  3. emandmike

emandmike New Egg

We are thinking the same. We are not allowed to have cockrels where we live so we may have to find this one another home! Thanks!

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    cockerel for sure

1 person likes this.
  5. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    You actually have a couple cockerels. In the second pic the black bird (guessing Australorp) on the right is a cockerel as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. emandmike

emandmike New Egg

Yes! Both Australorps we have turned out to be cockrels(very obvious). We are trying to determine if we need to find homes for 2 birds or 3! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by