Rhode Island Red - Confused on what is happening/need to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Help_Please, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Help_Please

Help_Please Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi guys! This is my first time on the forum.

I have a Rhode Island Red hen that is a year and two weeks old and something wierd is happening to her.

I don't know if this is a disease, if she's molting, or it's just plain out unexplainable but I'll try my best to describe it;
    -Around her stomach and egg sack, she's starting to lose her feather's and ?skin? maybe
    -She still acts like normal, no symptoms
    -You can kind of see her inards.

I'm sorry that the descriptions weren't well typed out, so here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about:

htt p: //i52.tinyp ic.com/2ut lyyb.jpg

htt p: //i56.tinyp ic.co m/2gx fq6w.jpg

ht tp: //i54.tiny pic.co m/2djufy p.jpg

Sorry for the spread apart links, I had to make them like that, apparently new members have a URL restriction of 0.
    Thank you so much for your help though!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yikes! that sure does look painful! Im very sorry i cant help- i hope someone here can! [​IMG]

3. Help_Please

Feb 24, 2011
    I forgot to mention, I think it might be a rupture but I'm not exactly sure. When I googled, I didn't come up with much. If I get her to stop laying, do you think it will reduce these symptoms? Does anyone know how to safely make a hen stop laying? Thanks so much!

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i dont think you can get her to stop laying [​IMG] Perhaps keeping her in a non-lit area for a while?

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i cant see the pics but my RIR's about a year old started to loose feathers, we are at 16 months old, 1 of them still has a bit of a naked neck, the others have fully feathered out. During the molt they were the ugliest looking things i have ever seen, stuff halloween masks, i am getting a molting chicken to freak out the neighbor kids!

6. Help_Please

Feb 24, 2011
    Quote:Your RIR's molted? Mine hasn't molted yet, I didn't even know they were supposed to molt.

So just to make sure, are RIR's supposed to molt? Thanks!

7. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    all chickens go through molt, but that is NOT a molt if you can see her insides. Is that poop on her butt or something else?.

8. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    HI,
    I couldnt see your pictures, but have a possible idea..
    well Im totally new, this yr, but ive wondereded about how adding a small amount of oil, to the diet can make everything run out smoother! how nice!
    sunflower seeds have the natural oilss. we occasionally add oil we use on our food. (i read about it from a library book).
    At first I noticed their combs getting less ashy,not as bright looking, to smoother and well like our skin when we put on lotion.

[​IMG]

9. Help_Please

Feb 24, 2011
    Did you try putting the link together? Sorry I had to spread it out like that, new members can't post links [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by