Rhode Island Red ?? Cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cowgirl_up_47, Aug 30, 2010.

1. cowgirl_up_47

cowgirl_up_47 New Egg

Aug 30, 2010
    I don't know much about crossbreeding chickens (we breed cattle), but maybe someone can help.

One of our Rhode Island Reds hid a nest of eggs, which resulted in us finding a bunch of chicks this morning. The hen is a Rhode Island Red and all of the chicks appear to be mostly black, with a white spot on the head. I am pretty sure all of them have the white spot. They sort of look like Black Sex Link chicks. At least one also has feathered legs. I didn't get a very good look at the rest, so I'm not sure if they all do or not.

I am trying to figure out what kind of cross they are. We have several roosters, but only 2 are cochins. One is a Black Cochin and the other is a Barred Cochin.

Does anyone know what kind of cross these are, and what they will look like when mature?

(I will try to get some pictures later)

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They sound like the Barred Cochin's chicks. As for what they are going to look like???? [​IMG] I have a feeling that they aren't going to be the prettiest hens/roos on the lot. [​IMG]

3. cowgirl_up_47

cowgirl_up_47 New Egg

Aug 30, 2010
    I had a chance to get a better look at them tonight. There's a total of 10. All except 1 have a white dot on their head. The one with a solid black head also has a black beak. The others have lighter colored beaks with black on the tip. They all have white on the belly, under the neck and a little on the wings as well. They also all have feathered legs.

Here is a picture (I hope this works):

[​IMG]

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The ones with the white dot should alll be barred. The one without the dot will probably be all black but may have some barring underneath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by