Rhode Island Red/Easter Egger cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bock, Sep 25, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a broody hen, and I wanted to give her about 3-4 eggs from my friend. She has Americannas and RIRs. I was just curious what that cross might look like, and if any body might have owned /own them. I would keep them for egg production the future Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The roos would look similar to this:

[​IMG]

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the pic! That is a rather umm....interesting looking bird! [​IMG]

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Does any one else have this cross? [​IMG]

5. hot wings

hot wings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    I too am interested in this cross, I have a very able RRI gentelman and EE hens, I am interested in egg production and large dark colored eggs. Does anyone have any insite on this cross? Thank You

1 person likes this.
  6. namsifu

namsifu New Egg

Jul 8, 2012
    I am in the second week of brooding a big batch of RIR hens with a Easter Egger rooster. I figure that these two breeds have without a doubt the best production/family friendly/hardiness factors of any other breed. I was surprised that there is nothing on the web without the few exceptions of "accidents" about crossing these two breeds. I hope there is not a reason for not crossing! My plan is to cross two generations with selectivity of production of tinted eggs., reddish cream color chickens, and upwards of around a 7 pound bird. I'll let you know what happens with my experiment.

7. hot wings

hot wings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    The gentleman gave his life to a hawk for his ladies. So at this time its' not a concern. Thank you;

8. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    I crossed an Easter Egger roo and a Production Red hen and this is what I got.

[​IMG]
    This is the Easter Egger daddy, Buddha.

[​IMG]
    This is the Production Red mom, Ivy.

[​IMG]
    This is the baby. She has production red coloring with muffs, a beard, peacomb, and green legs. She lays green eggs with a bit of an olive hue to them.

9. phoenix-silkie

phoenix-silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2015
    Williams lake, bc
    my friend had twoand they can look ugly or they can look like the most beautiful bird ever. i am go to breed some hens and see if i get colored eggs[​IMG]

10. Tchap

Tchap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    Seneca, South Carolina
    I have a Easter egger rooster and a RIR hen and I just put a batch of 8 eggs in the incubator the eggs are set to hatch the 10th of September I will be sure to keep you guys informened on what they look like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by