Rhode Island red experts opinion needed

winniechick

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
We are now at 16 weeks and I don't know, some people have said roos, some pullets and I am confused, either way I will need to make plans for them preferably before any crowing begins as seven chickens is too many for our section size. All three look very similar to me nothing really different and everyone says that at 16 weeks it should be really obvious if they are roos or not. Up until last week their combs were a peach colour now their wattles have grown and turned a little redder in colour, but not really red like my laying girls, they are definitely bolder trying to steal food off the older hens, its their messy tails that worry me they are not neat and tidy like my other girls. It was drizzling a little before I took these photos but top two photos are pretty accurate as to feather shininess.

look like hens to me.. you should see alot more red and the tail should be completly black
caf.gif

I bought mine the week after Easter I think so they are about the same age, and the Roo's are very obvious at this point. I would post a picture here but i don't know the trick. Maybe I can add it as my profile pic.

my girls didn't get a red comb till they were laying and i think i see hackles and saddles and the curve of the tail feathers says boys

Back
Top Bottom