1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red Gender Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MalloryChick912, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MalloryChick912

MalloryChick912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    My hopeful girls are about 4-5 weeks right now so I don't know that a picture will help since there really isn't anything to show. Two of the six chicks I have are RIR, one of which had a strip on the back of her head. The other does not have this mark. Since my kiddo is home sick today I went onto google and found that mark not being there means it's pretty likely I have a cockerel. I'm a bit panicked because per our city ordinance I can't have roosters. Other than the strip this chick is identical to my other RIR.

Does anyone have experience with this gendering technique. [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Not true, that should have nothing to do with gender. Please post pictures of them when they are 6-8 weeks old and we should be able to tell what you have by then. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MalloryChick912

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    Thank you. This is my first group of chicks and my kids and I have gotten attached. This chick is one of my favorites he/she loves to be held and loved. Falls asleep almost every time you hold her/him.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You're welcome! Sounds like a sweet little chick. [​IMG]

5. MalloryChick912

Mar 31, 2017
    Marysville,Wa
    We really lucked out. Both the RIR and Brahmas are wonderful. Fingers crossed the Wyandotte's come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by