1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsRevDr, May 13, 2011.

1. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    ][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 10 birds, 1 black one I think is some mix?? I am hoping I have 8 hens and 2 roo's and not the other way around.

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's very difficult to tell by a group photo not being able to look at their heads. Also, those are not Rhode Island Reds. Rhode Island Reds do not have white/light tips on their wings. Also, RIR adult feathers are darker. Maybe they are production reds or red sex links.

Perhaps you can post pictures of their heads. Maybe someone will know. My RIR is 8 weeks and I have no clue what sex it is. He/she has had a red comb since 5 weeks, but has the body of a hen. I have to wait until it crows or lays an egg.

The wait is difficult. We put a lot of hard work in our birds.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    They could be hatchery RIRs, when any RIR, SQ or not is young they have that white and black on them

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I have SQ Reds and they don't have White and or Black spot on them like that. Tips of there wings yes from time to time but never all over the wing, tail and back. Yes, I would bet that there Hatchery Production Reds.

Chris

5. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I bought them from a local lady and that is what she claimed they we're I did a lot of research as to what to get. Also, have no idea what the black one is. I will try to get a better photo tomorrow of heads, I guess 8 seem to have very long tails and 2 short tails, but they might not be growing in as fast. What does SQ stand for?

6. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Show Quality

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by