Rhode Island Red Hen never went in to roost.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by basketballndl, Nov 18, 2010.

1. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I went out to close my coop up tonight and found a RIR hen sitting in the corner of the run laying down, wings slightly/lazily opened. She did not bock, or move the slightest bit when i went to pick her up. I noticed that something was coming or something that was previously coming from her vent. My first thought was an egg thast had maybe broken as she was trying to lay it? Well, i took her up and showed her to my parents and we decided just to let her go and see how she is tomorrow morning. When i went to put her on the roost with the rest of the flock she took one step and fell flat on her face. No reaction. She didn't put her wings out to try to fly or anything that i would have expected. She felt a little cooler than usual and her comb had a blackish brownish tint closer to the top of the comb. I have no clue what is wrong with her. HELP!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Tell us again how her vent looks this morning? Is it inverted?

A hen that sick really needed to be isolated so you can check her out and so she can rest.

Let us know how she is this morning.

3. basketballndl

Aug 9, 2010
    as of this morning she was on the floor of the coop not moving much. one of her sisters was laying next to her. when gI got home form school today, she was dead.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I'm very sorry to hear that, Hannah. I hope i can comfort you that there was likely nothing you could have done. I have had a couple of girls go suddenly like that from egg laying complications or peritonitis. There's really nothing to do about it. I'm very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. basketballndl

Aug 9, 2010
    thank you. she's probably in a better warmer place where she is not constantly harrassed by roosters [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by