1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Rhode Island Red hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by animal lady, Sep 19, 2013.

1. animal lady

animal lady New Egg

Jul 9, 2012
    Rosie is about 10 weeks. I was told she was a Rhode Island but not sure if she is a production red. Pretty sure she isn't a she but wanted to get everyones opinion. I think the crowing I hear comes from the Buff Orpington in the back of the picture. Both "ladies" have been fighting each other with chests out and feather fluffing and flying through the air. I have two grown Americaunas and Rosie is my first Rhode Island Red. Hoping you are all going to tell me they develop combs and wattles early in life!
    I have found a good home for one rooster but do I now need a miracle and have to find another home? (My town doesnt allow roosters)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but Rosie's a rooster! The comb is too red and large for a ten week old pullet, the color is blotchy (a female would be a more even shade), and I think I see the beginning of pointy saddle feathers coming in. In case you'd like an opinion on whether he's a Rhode Island Red or a Production Red, I think that he's a Rhode Island Red. Production Reds are usually a little more blotchy in coloration, in my opinion.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X 2 on Rosie looks like a rooster with that comb and feathers at ten weeks, sorry.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

production red cockerel. 100%

5. animal lady

animal lady New Egg

Jul 9, 2012
    I was hoping for a different answer but I suspected!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 Your Buff Orpington may be a rooster, too, though a better photo is needed to tell for sure.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    rosie is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by