Rhode Island Red Hen....or?

chickalit

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Henrietta (or Henry) is a little larger than my other reds. She's kind of shiny, has a big comb, BUT she doesn't have any spurs. Finally, she (or one of them) sort of crows in the a.m., but not like you'd hear on t.v. or in the movies. She's about four to six mos. old.
Is it possible it's a Henry? Without spurs? And, no, none of my hens have laid eggs yet.
Oh, and she's quite aggressive with our dogs.

Do not use spurs as a mean of sexing a bird. Both sexes are capable of getting them.

And yes, it sounds quite possible she is a Henry. Also, don't compare the crowing you hear to the ones on tv. Every rooster has a different crow.

A lot of times, shiny feather=roo, especially in a breed like the RIR. Is "she" especially shiny around the hackle, saddle, and tail? Perhaps a bit in the wing?
If so, I would cast my vote as roo.
Aggressiveness is not really important, again, especially with RIR's. I find them to be rather aggressive in general.
One thing to remember about spurs is that they don't get really noticeably large until a roo is a year or two old. Also, some hens will develop quite impressive ones.
Larger is a Rooster sign.
Other things to look for: if the hackle, saddle, or tail feathers are pointy and narrow; crowing (duh); sometimes wanting to roost higher than everybody else; strutting..I can't think of anymore right now.

My thanks to you both. Appreciate the help!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom