1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smithbre, Oct 6, 2015.

1. smithbre

smithbre Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    I have two RIR, I was told that only the roosters get green feathers, but one (who is laying) is starting to get green on her neck and she has some dark tail feathers. One day I gave a dozen eggs to my mom, who raised chickens when she was a kid, and she told me that she broke open a egg and found a chick ( she didn't get a picture of it but said that it was a black longish blob at the end of a umbilical cord). now i have been going crazy trying to figure out what is going on. I heard about when a hens ovaries gets injured that then they can get male characteristics, but are not fertile.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Are you sure she is laying? Can you post a picture? It's also possible that what your mother found was a meat spot and not an embryo.

3. smithbre

smithbre Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    [​IMG] I've caught her in the nesting box a couple of times, I now have both of the rir laying and a black sexlin. I've thought it could have been meat spots but according to her and my dad it was just one big blob

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Looks like a hen to me. Do you only have the three birds? It could be possible you have a rooster that's not this bird. I'm still thinking it was a meat spot though - unless a hen was actively sitting on an egg for about a week or more there really shouldn't have been an embryo big enough in the egg to be as big a blob as you are describing. It takes three days of sitting before you can even see the embryo developing when you candle.

Edit: I just saw that you have four birds and posted pictures of all of them. They are all hens. It was a meat spot :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a hen.

no offense to your parents, but folks simply don't know what a chicken embryo looks like. We get frantic posts here all the time about cracking eggs and finding dead chicks. When we get pics, 99% of the time it's not an embryo, it's a meat spot or a blood spot. So, my experience leads me to think this is what happened. Especially if they didn't mention blood or veins--a developing chick will have a good supply of veins.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Hen

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    hen

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed