Rhode Island Red , I think , hens? Age? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JPHJPH, Aug 1, 2013.

1. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]

2. JPHJPH

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are not Rhode Island Reds.

They are mixes or hybrids commonly called red sex links. This makes the mix easy to sex as the males are white and the females have mostly red. This is only true when the parent stock used to make the mix are correct.

They appear to be 7-8 weeks old.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Definitely not RIRs but some sort of sex linked hybrid. I think you have a male and female but it's impossible to tell. plus I have no experience with sex link genetics and breeding

5. JPHJPH

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Interesting, are there any problems with mix breeds as far as egg laying ? They were free chickens, so the price was right ... But is rather pay and get the best ones depending what you think about these birds

6. JPHJPH

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]

7. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

if they are red sex links & they look like it, they are egg laying machines.

8. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Mixed breeds lay just as well as pure breeds it's just harder to sex them in my opinion. Plus some people just prefer pure breeds

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, the industry uses a similar bird they mix for the world's top brown egg laying. That said, such a mix is only as good as the parent stock used. My instinct says they are chickens and they will lay very well for you. Health and vigor is almost more important than just a breed reputation. I have some of the best pure bred birds on the planet. I enjoy them. I have also enjoyed some mixes over the years that were great layers.

For starting out in this hobby, they'll do just fine. Practice your skills, learn, love and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  10. JPHJPH

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    So to sex them i just wait and see what happens ? I can't have roosters where I live ( more or less In the city ) so that's dinner if they pop up or what!!!! Ahhhhhh chicken owning is stressful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by