Rhode Island Red Injured by Ameraucana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RosemaryChicks, Feb 2, 2015.

1. RosemaryChicks

RosemaryChicks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi BYC,

We've had 5 hens for about 8 months since they were chicks (all raised together). Never had any issues with them fighting outside a random squabble now and then. Our Red has been laying eggs almost daily for over a month now (We have 2 nesting boxes and she always used the left one). Our Ameraucana and another chicken just started laying this week (two eggs from both so far). All three laying chickens are now laying in the right nesting box. We came home from work today to find our Red severely injured and bleeding at the base of the back of her crest(?) and a cracked beak (see attached pics). I attempted to clean the wound, but it only seem to make it bleed more. After watching the chickens it quickly became apparent who the culprit was. Our Ameraucana would hound and constantly attack the Red, and when I separated the Ameraucana the Red had no problems with the others. The Red seemed very scared when the Ameraucana was free and would avoid the pack. But the Ameraucana would aggressively corner and pursue the Red causing her to fearfully run back and forth from either side of the run. The Ameraucana does have a size advantage. Our chickens do not like to be held or to be near us, but after cleaning the wound (and making it worse) I set the Red on the ground. The Ameraucana came closer and the Red jumped back up on the can next to me where I was cleaning her and let me hold her. She seemed very scared. We have two questions:

- What should we do about her wound/beak? While a part of me wants to let it dry and heal on its own I also don't want her to get an infection. She still seems to be able to eat fine. After I cleaned the wound it started bleeding more, and she would shake her head cause blood to get all over herself and the coop.

- What should we do about the fighting? I understand that the Ameraucana wants to display rank, that her hormones are going crazy since the recent egg laying, and that there might be an issue with fighting over nesting boxes, but I don't want her to seriously injure the other chickens and or kill them. We've temporarily separated the Ameraucana putting her in their old incubator box in the run area, but that is just going to work for tonight (don't want to leave her in there all day tomorrow.) Can we keep the Red and Ameraucana separated during the day as well by leaving one of the in the coop and putting the rest outside when we leave for work (still slightly dark out)? How long? Did we separately correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks BYC!

(pictures taken after initial cleaning, before she started bleeding worse)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RosemaryChicks

RosemaryChicks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    No injuries or marks on the Ameraucana. Fighting appears to be one-sided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by