Rhode Island Red is acting weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nutmeg_62, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nutmeg_62

nutmeg_62 New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    I have an 8 week old chicken...RIR and she is acting funny. She was in her pen with her hatch mates laying on her side and scratching with one leg. We removed her and have her in isolation. She is behaving fine and standing bearing weight on both legs. I have never heard of this before. Is she sick..she is eating and drinking or is she just weird:p

2. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

at 8 week old, it sounds like she is just trying to take some form of dust bath, i probably wouldnt worry too much yet, unless other symptoms arise

3. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I would agree that it sounds like your chicken is trying to kick up some dust. Chickens love to dust bathe.

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    At that age we put a shallow bowl of mash in and the one learing or trying to dust bath would jump in the bowl and go to town. It was so funny to watch. Maybe that is what your RIR is doing.

5. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    yep, dust bath, i think we probably all went through that when we first saw them doing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by