Rhode Island red is sick

klilly20

Songster
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Kentucky, USA
I have a Rhode Island Red she is not eating and just stands in one spot fluffed up as if she is on the roost. Her droppings are a yellow color. I have no idea how old she is my neighbor gave her to me and she has been the light of our lives. we call her Thelma she has a sister and she is Louise. Thelma has been this way for three days. I used safe Guard goat wormer to worm her and milk thistle weed incase of Black head disease for the liver. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
How long have you had her? Yellow droppings can indicate coccidiosis or possibly parasites. I'd run a course of Corid so you can at least rule out the possibility that she's fighting a case of coccidiosis. Also make sure to do a repeat dose of dewormer 10 days after the first dose.

How long have you had her? Yellow droppings can indicate coccidiosis or possibly parasites. I'd run a course of Corid so you can at least rule out the possibility that she's fighting a case of coccidiosis. Also make sure to do a repeat dose of dewormer 10 days after the first dose.
I have had her approx 2 years. What is Corid? where can I get it?

I found it on Ebay and Amazon thank you very much

Corid is a coccidiostat that prevents the cocci protozoa from overgrowing and overwhelming a bird. It's more common in younger birds or birds that have recently been moved to new property where they encounter strains of cocci they are not resistant to. But it can occur in older birds that have a compromised immunity for whatever reason. So it's always a good idea to rule out the possibility since it is lethal.

Corid can be found at most feed stores and Tractor Supply. Usually in the cattle section. Comes in liquid or powder, either is fine.
Dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon, dose for the powder is 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. Make it up fresh every day and treat for 5 days.

There are lots of things this could be but most times we just have to start by ruling out the most common possibilities and go on from there. Also check her body condition, see if she's lost weight or if she has any swelling or bloating in her lower body.

Back
Top Bottom