Rhode Island Red? Isa Brown? Or Barnevelder?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crystaljade, Aug 21, 2016.

1. crystaljade

crystaljade New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Hi all I need some held with this one my Roo is Rhode Island Red so we know there's a 50/50 chance of them being reds but I don't know if my hen was sitting on Barnevelder or Isa eggs they are 5wks +1day old Today.[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I"m thinking those are both Red x Isa Browns. Either of the other mommas would have all dark chicks. The white came from the sex link momma.

3. crystaljade

crystaljade New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, We only have one hen in our flock interested in babies (the Sussex pictured) she only hatched 2 chicks either a isa or Barnevelder eggs as she was moulting the last 3 she hatched came out all Sussex so I've never seen the other three breeds that young so having heaps of trouble here and with the little bits of black on them I'm even more confused.[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Well, the thing is your birds aren't any of the breeds, they're mixed. When you mix breeds, they don't look like the parent breeds. Add to that, the ISAa are themselves a mix, and you've got chicks that are a mix of mixes, so pretty much anything is possible color-wise.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

7. crystaljade

crystaljade New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Awesome thanks for the info guys one more question I've been told it's not good to hatch Isa's due to health problems so should I be concerned for these chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by