Rhode Island red lays 2 eggs in 2 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeismicWave9, Sep 26, 2016.

1. SeismicWave9

SeismicWave9 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Wow super cool! It's not often hens lay two eggs in one day, your lucky

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2 eggs in 2 days?.......or 2 eggs a day for 2 days in a row?

4. SeismicWave9

SeismicWave9 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    2 eggs on 2 separate days. Now I'm just waiting on my other chickens to start laying. I have 2 buff orpington's, 1 barred rock, 1 americuna and 1 wyandotte. They should all start laying any day now.

5. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Cool! My Red as well laid two eggs (at) for its first time, but am not so lucky to get two at another time. [​IMG]

6. chickyduckduck

chickyduckduck New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    New Mexico
    My RIR was brought home reportedly already laying a little over a week ago. Day 1 and 2 at our home she laid an egg, and hasn't since... curious if there's something I'm missing?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Moving a bird to a new home is stressful for them and often results in cessation of lay, the first egg anyways was already in process when she arrived at your place. She should start back up again as soon as she acclimates and feels comfortable, unless she's about 18 months old as may go into a molt.
    Do you have other birds?
    How did you integrate this new bird?

8. chickyduckduck

chickyduckduck New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    New Mexico
    She is, reportedly, 5-6 months old-ish. We had 2 chickens that are 4-5 months already, prior to adding her and a same age Easter Egger. We also got 2 slightly younger. The 2 older birds have donever exceptionally well, closely supervised and slow integration. They do the pecking on the others but not severely at all...the younger two had to be separated, they were getting sadly picked on by all the others from the get go. We have them in a separate caged are inside the free range fenced yard. Thathe way they get their own food and water and can acclimate. The there 4 are getting along beautifully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by