Rhode Island red leg issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yeah Chickens, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Yeah Chickens

Yeah Chickens New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Poconos, PA
    Hi all! I have a Rhode Island Red, 2 years old that was fine this morning when I let her out but within an hour, she has no mobility. Both her feet move and seem fine but her one leg can't keep her up leaving her grounded. I had this happen a year ago with my silkie & we had to put her down. I believe it is b/c my ducks harassed her, they gang up sometimes and can be nasty.

I have my RIR inside and comfortable, she is eating and drinking fine and is responsive just can't stand on the one leg but as I said, she can move it so it doesn't appear to be broken. She is a very cool chicken with an outstanding personality and I would rather not put her down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Take care. -Amber

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I had a BO hen that started limping all the sudden. She was fine, and then she had a bad limp. I don't know what happened. I separated her from the flock and just kept an eye on her. She could walk, but not for long and preferred to just lay down. Over about a week (maybe even 2) she was improving, but just not healing like she should. I examined her again. Nothing seemed to be broken, bruised, etc. Her thigh/hip area was a little feverish, but not alarmingly so. I started putting comfrey tea in her water. A lot of people say not to take comfrey internally, but I do. My whole family does and I give it to my animals all the time. She healed up in a flash. You cannot buy comfrey tea bags. You have to get comfrey leaves and/or root. I made a tea out and comfrey leaves and root, put the tea in her water, and mixed the used leaves and root into her feed. It took only a couple days after that for her to be well enough to go back outside. Comfrey is an anti-inflammatory and high in calcium, so it helped thicken her eggshells too! [​IMG] I would highly recommend comfrey for your girl.

3. Yeah Chickens

Yeah Chickens New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Poconos, PA
    Such an interesting reply, I will defiantly look into it! Thank you! Where would I go about in finding Comfrey leaves/roots? 1 last silly question, I am knew to this site, I see that you have all your animals listed on your post, how did you do that? Hope to hear from you soon, Amber

4. Yeah Chickens

Yeah Chickens New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Poconos, PA
    ps, thanks for not suggestiong that put her down, Iwould rather not this early in the game!!!!

5. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Hm. I'm not really sure. I'll ask my mom. She's the one that always gets it. To edit your signature, go to "My Profile" at the top of the page. At the bottom of your profile it'll say something like "edit your signature". Click it, and type away!

I pretty much never suggest that this soon unless it's really bad. I always try to save my girls (and boys) whenever possible! Keep me posted!

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Okay, on the comfrey. Look at your local health food store if you have one. If not, you would have to order it. If you are interested I could find you a few places to order from. I not, that's okay. How is she doing?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. Yeah Chickens

Yeah Chickens New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Poconos, PA
    Hey, Don't worry about looking up places, I have an awesome organic/ non GMO store in town that I can poke in, they may have it, I will call. She is ok, I put her on our floor just to see how she was doing and she can kinda stand for a few seconds and then sits back down. I was playing with her foot, and she has full use of it, it really sounds like what you had, so I will check out the comfrey. She is in good spirits, watched a movie with me last night! *l* Thanks once again!

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm glad to hear she's improving! :) I don't wanna worry you, but have you looked up Mereks? I'm not saying that's what it is. Mine wasn't. Just a possibility you may want to look at. Keep me posted! [​IMG]

9. BULUT

BULUT Out Of The Brooder

yes nice

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    How's she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by