rhode island red or buff orpington?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by augiedranch, Jul 17, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    hey guys.. i was wanting to narrow down my chickens to two different breeds. origionaly buff orpington and jersey giants... however, just last night one of my buff orpington hens was hit by a car and killed.. i cried and cried... this left me with one other hen and a very young buff orpington male...

so now i dont know if i want to stick with buffs, seeing as i dont have very many left..
    right now i have a rhode island red hen, two young males, 3 EE hens no males, 1 new hampshire red hen no males, one male bantam, one hen blk sex link, one hen barred rock, and two hen golden polish.... 8 jersey giant female one month olds and two one month old jersey giant males..

should i stick with jersey giants and what? i gues thats what im asking.. do yall like buff orpingtons better than rhode island reds,? or any other breed that i listed above?

i like my buffs because they were fat, and a beautiful gold color...

the one that passed away is name is buffy..

thanks for any input

2. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    incase ur wondering. my animals are free range on nine acres. i do not have a pen big enough to hold all of them comfortably. they are locked up at night. i just dont like to keep them penned up,,, they are much happier free ranging.
    thanks

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I really can't answer your question, as I've never owned orps. But, I CAN say that from what a friend who has them has told me, they eat a lot!! So, if you were interested in saving $ on your feed bill, they may not be the best choice. But, lots of folks really like them, and I understand they're easy to work with. They can also go broody, which means they'll stop laying when they do so.

I have some EEs and absolutely LOVE them. They are laying machines, easy keepers, and gentle/docile.

I also have some Jersey Giant/New Hamp Red cross pullets, but they are only 12 weeks now. They seem quite skittish, although the person that sold me the hatching eggs said hers were very laid back.

It all depends on what you're wanting with your chickens! Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

4. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I love my EE's too. They follow me everywhere and wait by the back door for me to come out with treats!! Nice birds

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My only buff also got killed. Sorry about yours I cryed and cryed. I now have 14 8 weekold buffs I hatched out. I also have 2 rir and they are not very friendly, one I named Mona after my DH ex-wife (tells you how nice she is)!! I would go with the buffs much nicer, I also like the fluffy butts!!

6. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    I have 1 Buff Orp and 2 RIR I love both kinds. I get eggs from all 3 of them pretty much every day. Anna Nicole my buff is very sweet but a bit shy. Cluck and Crispy, not shy and Cluck is very talky and loud. Both follow me around. And like to be held.
    The loud and talky might be something you want to think about. I find it funny but some might not.

7. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I can tell you this much- buff orp roo's are delicious!

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I really can't answer your question, as I've never owned orps. But, I CAN say that from what a friend who has them has told me, they eat a lot!!

My 8 orps who are 17 weeks old have been eating less then a pound of feed each per week. They always have access to feed and always filled when empty (about once a week gets low). They get to free range a couple hours a day and have a 15x35 run. Not sure if about 1 LB per bird per week is considered alot?​

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My buff is beautiful and a good layer but she is skittish and shy. [​IMG]

My RIR is the same age and she also is beautiful........she shimmers in the sun light and when I enter the pen she comes a runnin' and lays right at my feet until I pet her. [​IMG]

Buffy started laying early at 16-17 weeks. Eggs are small but she did lay a double yoker the other day. Rhoda just started laying ( about 20 weeks ) a good large egg.

And as most of you know.......My lil' RIR Scarlet went shopping with me today and her manners were impeccable. LOL. [​IMG]

One that surprised my and is a great layer at 18 weeks is Callie, my California white. Her eggs are big and delicious. She is rather skittish tho.....but her eggs are my favs. I cracked three eggs this AM to make an omellete on one was Buffys and two were Callies. Callies were much oranger ( is that a word? ) than Buffys. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

10. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    wow! yall are very helpful! thank you!! im just not sure if i should keep the little buff orpington roo or the rir roo.... same age, etc but the orpington roo is just not as sweet, kinda skittish... so i need to pick... humm.... what to do what to do!! yall are very helpful and sweet. oh,, lol except for the eating part! i wouldnt eat my chickens/rooster! lol but thanks for that imput too... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by