Rhode Island red or mutts?

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
Hi everyone! I'm excited to be a part of your website after reading forums for years on here! Now I finally have a question of my own lol I started raising chickens a year ago its my first time and boy have I learned a lot! I bought a rooster and 4 hens they were 3 months old within the first 6 months I had a chicken hawk devour 3 of my 4 hens, that's when I covered their run! so Ive had the rooster and hen pair since then with no problems until I had a possum break the chicken wire and rip out my hens throat! Amazingly she decided she wanted to live and after 5 days of watching her fight on her own I decided to take her to the vet and she is recovering after having crop surgery a week ago in my closet lol. Needless to say we decided to also rewire the run with 12.5 G welded wire! Anywho that leaves me to where we are now, since she was my only hen and we were use to getting eggs everyday, I decided while she was down to buy 2 other rhode island red hens. I found some on craigslist locally, when I went to purchase them they were in a box, I simply peeked in saw their coloring and bought them. Well... after I got home and opened the box I knew right away something wasn't quite right, the coloring is about right but the don't really have tail feathers, they were born in Sept. 2015 so they should, or atleast mine did by then, but after scowering the internet I cant find anything that even looks close to them so I'm hoping yall can help! the one looking at the camera is the front view and if you look behind her you will see the rear of the other one and what I'm talking about.

They look like my RIR, but my girls feet are yellow, and tails are a bit larger! You could have a mixed breed but they could end up being awesome layers! Sorry I'm not much help

Just so everyone knows since I'm a newbie in chicken keeping, with just over a year in experience now. I have learned that None of my 9 chickens are rhode island reds! They are all production reds and alot of people sell them as rhode islands including feed stores and hatcheries, I've bought 3 different sets of rir's from 3 different sources and they all turned out to be production! But I can't complain because they are still a good dual purpose breed and all my girls lay me big large brown eggs everyday, plus my rooster is nice enough to hold, so I'm not really to upset that I ended up with "mutt chickens" and quite frankly I don't think I'll ever buy anything else, I love my production reds!

Last edited:
Thank you! She already has, this happened in April. I was just updating the post in case there was anyone eles in the same situation sitting there wondering if they have rhode island reds or not. Rhode islands are a rich mahogany red color almost black with bright yellow legs, then you have production reds which can be a orange to dark redish orange color with yellow or creamier colored legs. Thats what i have. Yes my Sally probly shouldn't of made it but she was a Fighter, and if she was that determined to live than I was going to help her that's for sure!
This was her before

And this is her today

The surgery and everything that I needed to take care of her cost $60 some people shake Thier head at that but for those people in the same situation wondering what you should do I hope that this can inspire you not to give up! Sally is the best bird I have and I think she truly appreciates what I've done for her! The other chickens never accepted her back into Thier coop, so I bought her a new coop and 5 baby chicks to keep her company. They are doing fine in this pic can see her standing above the chicks "watching them" it's been her favorite thing to do since they were born :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom