1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red or production red ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcarls22, Oct 7, 2015.

1. mcarls22

mcarls22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    [​IMG]I was told by the feed store the chickens are Rhode Island Reds and then one lady said they were a production red . What do you think they have black in the tail area

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    W

To me they seems as production red, the color of Heritage RIR is much more deep chestnut brown.

See pic from the net:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My production red is light compared to my RIR who looks like yours. I think you have a RIR but it's not 'up to breed standard'.. :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With the lack of lustrous black feathers in the tail and the lack of a really deep body, you have a Production Red but because of its dark color, it was likely marketed by the hatchery as a RIR. Technically speaking, there is typically little or no difference between Production Reds and hatchery quality RIRs and NHs as hatcheries are usually more concerned with egg production than they are with maintaining SOP standards. Those red gene birds that are of a darker shade of red (closer to mahogany) are usually marketed as RIRs, those that are of a lighter shade of red (closer to chestnut) are usually marketed as NHs, and those that are somewhere down the middle or of a very uneven shade are marketed as Production Reds. Because of their darker red shades, your birds were likely marketed as RIRs rather than PRs, but either way they should be excellent layers. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  5. mcarls22

Sep 4, 2015
    Thank you for the help . They are 5 months old . When do they normally start laying ?

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. They will normally begin laying from 5 to 6 months, so you shouldn't have to wait much longer for eggs. :eek:)

7. mcarls22

Sep 4, 2015
    Here is another picture of them . Having fun with the corn . This is a better picture [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Production Red

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member