1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red or Production Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thailand, Dec 25, 2013.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an opportunity to purchase some RIR chicks and have been sent a photo of the parent stock. The owner isn't too certain if his hen is pure RIR or not.

We would both appreciate your expert opinions please.

[​IMG] Hen penned with rooster

[​IMG] The hen in question

[​IMG] The "RIR" pair again

We're pretty sure the rooster is pure RIR....but the coloring of the hen? Looking forward to your thoughts. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hen is a cross of some sort.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The hen looks like a mix, ,maybe with some Partridge Plymouth Rock, Welsummer, or Leghorn in her.

4. x2 The rooster seems to me to be a pure RIR

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The rooster's color is pretty nice, but I'm not sure if that's the correct leg color. I was thinking yellow legs were called for.

The hen I'm not sure I'd even call a production red, she looks to have some lacing or something else going on there, I'd call her a barnyard mix.

If you're just wanting a flock for backyard eggs and meat, those two would probably give you very nice babies.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    If you arewanting purebred chicks, don't buy these. I would not even call the hen a production red, but a mutt. And the Rooster has his flaws

7. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    The hen almost looks like a gamehen/ RIR mix to me with that reddish undercarrage. The roo reminds me more like a PR I think than an heirloom RIR.

We have 81 PR, and a surprising majority of them have fairly deep and dark coloring- like dark mahogany or deep chocolate cherry in color, although some have are light to medium red. This roo's legs seem pale yellow, like many PR can be. He's a handsome fellow, but I also see that a good portion of his comb is blackish too- a possible circulation issue to consider. I believe I might just pass on them both. : (

8. thailand

Hi...thought I would post here again and update with photos of the chicks I received a few weeks ago. The parents are shown in the first post.

Would appreciate others input as to ages and sex please :)

The 4 chicks appear to be slightly different in ages.

1. This is the biggest, darkest and most feathered chick.....pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This is the smallest/youngest chick....thinking pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. This is the 2nd youngest chick...possible roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. This is the 2nd biggest chick....thinking definitely roo? See those wattles coming!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts...thanks :)

9. thailand

Updated pictures of chicks now about 9/10 weeks old. I just thought others might like to see how these chicks are turning out. :)

Chick 1. A pullet and a gorgeous deep chocolate color (this photo does not do her justice)
    [​IMG]

Chick 2. A pullet (color is lighter than her sister, but her new feathers coming through now are darker)
    [​IMG]

3. Roo. (color is somewhere in between the pullets)
    [​IMG]

4. Roo. (again, color is somewhere in between the pullets coloring)
    [​IMG]

I'm very pleased with how these chicks are turning out. :)

10. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    They look great. They will still change so much!

We have a few production reds that are extremely dark as well (assuming that is what you have.). This cockerel crowing in the henhouse is a very dark chocolate Production Red with a flat black with low tail set, so they can sometimes really look like them and be extremely dark too, like a real RIR.
    [​IMG]

He sits on eggs in the henhouse to encourage the girls to come in and lay eggs while the other chickens scream at him to leave the nest box. He then jumps out and crows. lol

Chick 1 looks like a pullet to me.
    Chick 2 kinds of looks like a roo, but I can't see if there are any saddle feathers starting. Is there a bald area in front of the tail or pointy feathers starting up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by