1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red or production reds ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by JLfarm, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I was wandering what Meyer hatchery has pure Rhode Island reds or production reds ? And can I still use the production red roo in a black sexed link cross ?:confused:

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So far as I know Meyer has RIR, but it seems like sometimes they or the feed stores will just sell a mix of all of the red colored breeds as "production reds". PRs should work fine in a black sex link cross. Not sure if you have seen it, but this was a nice thread on sl's https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

3. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    Thanks I have seen the thread it does have production reds as one of the males thanks for your help but if I order RIRs from Meyers will I get RIRs

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You should get what they call RIR .... RIR are one of those breeds though where there seems to be a big difference between hatchery quality RIR and heritage RIR or breeder/show bred RIR bred more to the standard.

5. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    Thanks again you have answered my questions

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The difference is night and day. We've gotten reds from Meyer. Healthy birds. That's not the problem.

But true bred, bred to the Standard? Wowser!!! not even in the same universe. Real Rhode Island Reds only come from those who breed them, love them and are passionate about them.

[​IMG]

7. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    This doesn't look like most RIRs I ever seen

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have not been impressed with the quality standard of hatchery chicks so far in my latest chicken venture. I am going to start searching for more reputable places to get my stock even if it does cost a little more. The one hatchery whos rir I want to try is central hatchery in Nebraska. Their rir look better in their pics and they say they get their breeding stock from a good looking line which hasn't been bred down. But their minimum order is quite large.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you want show quality hatcheries are not the answer. However if all you want is a pretty red hen to lay lots of brown eggs you won't be disappointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by