Rhode Island Red or Red Star Sex Link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by firstcapfire, Apr 30, 2009.

1. firstcapfire

firstcapfire New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    I am trying to determine which brown egg layers to start my chicken flock with. I am wanting large brown eggs and a chicken that can do good in both hot and cold weather here in Ohio. I believe I have narrowed things down to either Rhode Island Reds or the Red Star Sex Link.

Does anyone have an opinion on which they would choose or do you have your own breed that you like better?

Thanks

Mark

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I have two red sexlinks aka golden comets aka red stars. They are too young to lay yet but the reason I went with them is because they are super winter hardy, continue to lay over winter where other breeds slow or all together stop, begin laying a little sooner than other breeds and have docile personalities. Plus they are super pretty. So far of my flock of 6, the two RSL are the funnest ones I have. They come running to me whenever they see me, they are very friendly and have entertaining personalities.

I've only had a RIR for two days previously, but she was a very sweet girl too and followed me all around. But that was the extent of my experience with them.

[​IMG]

3. firstcapfire

firstcapfire New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I'll see if anyone else has any advice or experience as well. I was leaning toward the Red Star so your experience has helped me.

Thanks

Mark

4. My red sex links lay non-stop! Great in the winter, and do well in the summer. Nice, fat, brown eggs! They are also very friendly, and the kids love them!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. The Chicken Man

The Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    There was an old thread about the same thing a while back -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33339&p=1

Read the whole thread, there's some interesting stuff in there.

Judging from what those people say, it seems that Golden Comets/Red Stars will outlay RIRs slightly in the first year or two, but RIRs will continue to produce a steady stream of eggs for years after.

Choose which one you like best. Winter hardiness isn't quite an issue, they're both very resistant to cold weather. I've seen RIRs on farms that have endured weather in the teens and come through magnificently. They also do well in warm weather. RIRs are a nice old, trusted breed, and a state bird, also. I like them. [​IMG] I own both GCs and RIRs right now, but they haven't started laying yet.

Good luck on your new flock!

6. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I live in wilmington ohio, I have red stars and RIRs and they both do great!

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I say be like me, and have both! [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brahmas or plymouth rocks [​IMG] Much nicer birds.

9. The Chicken Man

The Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    I agree with the posts above, go with both breeds! Like Sonoron Silkie said, Brahmas are a nice breed, too. Your Red Stars will slow down on eggs in the Winter, and Brahmas will continue steadily laying.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by