Rhode Island Red question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PJones, Nov 7, 2015.

1. PJones

PJones Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2015
    Georgia
    Is there a way to determine if the hen will be a darker color? I know it's silly but I have 5 6 week babies. I can only keep one and hubby wanted a darker color hen. Since I bought them on his request I was trying to find out if I could better determine which would grow up more the color he wants. They're really all so close in color..... o_O

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    why only one? I'd suggest letting hubby pick one.. there all close anyways.. and if you pick it. If it's too light ya probably won't live it down

3. PJones

Aug 6, 2015
    Georgia

I'll actually keep two at least for now (I have 6 other chickens). I'd want her to have someone while she's young. Believe me he'll be in the picking process...my momma didn't raise no dummy!

4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol i have three rir that are just hitting four months and they just now darken up. For the longest time i was disappointed because they were the same color as my golden sex links pretty much now most are a deep red color.

5. TrialandError

TrialandError Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    I have 3 that are almost 2 months old and are a super deep redish brown

6. PJones

Aug 6, 2015
    Georgia

I guess it's all a shot in the dark. Thanks for letting me know it's possible for them to darken. ....maybe...LOL!

7. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol welcome, yeah i was thinking either they were labeled wrong or i got rhode island white mix hens. But now they are really pretty red one has light body feather(red just a lighter red) and deep dark red neck feathers that are very glossy she a pretty thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by