Rhode Island Red question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GAteacher99, Mar 15, 2013.

1. GAteacher99

GAteacher99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    I am new to raising chickens. I bought some RIR from TSC recently on two separate occasions. I bought two that were supposedly pullets (I believe they are Roos from all I have read). Then after researching went back and bought six more and asked if I could pick out my own. Lol! Question is...the first two are about 5 weeks old and have lots of white feathers...but the breast feathers are red... The others are just a week old but their wing and tail feathers are obviously "red". Why the difference. Both bought as RIR!??

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. GAteacher99

Mar 15, 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    [​IMG]

3. GAteacher99

Mar 15, 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    [​IMG]

4. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    I think the order bins got mixed up. I bought 3 RIRs and only ended up with two RIRs and a Red Sex link. I think you may have some sex link chicks too. My sex links are mostly red on the body (one has white-ish neck/head feathers) with white tails (each one seems a little different in the amount of white). At least I think all your white/red chicks should end up being pullets since I think the male sex-links end up in "Fry-pan" pens (they are usually males of various breeds).

CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by