Rhode Island Red Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Padfoot417, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Okay,so I know in my last post asking about Charlotte I had said that Scarlet was in the clear for a pullet.
    However,now I'm not so sure. [​IMG]
    The girls are bordering on 4 weeks,and Scarlet doesn't seem to be really growing like the rest of them.
    In a fit of irony Scarlet and Charlotte have become great friends and do everything together,including explore my bedroom when they take flight and jump out of the brooder. [​IMG]
    They'll be going out in the coop soon,but I was hoping to know now just what I'm dealing with. [​IMG]

I took this of Scarlet this morning when she was roaming my room
    [​IMG]

I took this one a few minutes ago (Charlotte jumped out of the box to come see what was going on)
    [​IMG]

I took this yesterday morning,Charlotte and Scarlet chillin on the edge of the box together
    [​IMG]

Could it be that I do in fact have a roo in my flock?
    Thank you for the help!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Not seeing anything rooish yet

[​IMG]

Post her again at 6 weeks, that's when roos usually become pretty obvious.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's a pullet. [​IMG] My RIR is the most aggressive chick in my entire flock and she is not very nice. My RIR even has gone after me 3 times. I've gotten pecked once and she pushed me with both feet twice. However, she has calmed down a bit and is becoming much sweeter as she ages. I almost got rid of her.lol

4. Padfoot417

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh good!I'll be sure to,she's my favorite little gal and to have to get rid of her would really be a shame.
    I love my flock,if any of them turned out to be roos I'd be so heartbroken,so I'm hopeful!
    Thank you! [​IMG]

5. Padfoot417

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:O.O oh wow I hope Scarlet doesn't do anything like that...she's really sweet and quite easygoing,curious about life and what's to eat!
    that just sounds scary though,I used to be terrified of chickens so let's not go in that direction lol

6. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    looks like a pullet. I have had too many of my little hens becoming roosters!!! It is a pain finding good homes for all the roos. NONSTOP CROWING. [​IMG] But I still love them. Not being creepy or anything, but you seem kind of like a kid. I thought I was the only kid on this whole forum!! [​IMG]

Oh and if you aren't......haha my bad......[​IMG]

7. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Oh also, where did you get your chicks? Did you hatch them?

8. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I vote roo (sorry)

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I vote I can't tell yet.

I had RIR's for 3 years and it wasn't until they were about 3 months old I could tell them apart. I think you need to wait until the hackle feathers come in or don't come in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by